Composition Call for Large-Scale Stage Work Commission
Submissions for this call are now OPEN!
The Assyrian Arts Institute is proud to announce the commission of a large scale lyric theater presentation of the epic of Gilgamesh, based on the oldest recorded writing in human history, with a libretto by Diana Farrell. This piece will be operatic with a heavy dance element which combines the aesthetics of the Western Classical cannon with the traditional and folkloric music of Ancient Assyria.
Compensation $50,000-$100,000 for 1,000 – 1,200 hours, negotiable based on experience and scope. The application will be processed in two phases. PHASE 1: will be a general submission for consideration. PHASE 2: to begin as early as September 15, 2023, will allow applicants 4 weeks to present original samples/sketches based on the libretto, which will be shared with the strongest applicants. The commissions panel will also provide a set of interview questions for consideration by the applicant and ask for a brief interpretation of a traditional folk melody for consideration, provided by the panel.
- Experience in writing for the voice
- Experience with large scale orchestral works
- Ability to adhere to mutually agreed upon deadlines
- Able to provide materials and narratives financial for fundraising and Grant needs
- Workshop and initial draft or multiple sections as early as June 2024
- Must be willing to participate in marketing plans for final product
- Utilize Assyrian instruments idiomatically and identify alternatives with appropriate registration if necessary
- Experience writing for dance
- Work collaboratively with librettist to fine-tune text and characterization
- Knowledge of Arabic, Assyrian, Aramaic languages a plus
- Applicant identifies as a culture bearer of the stateless nation of Assyria
Applicants must submit the following:
- Current CV/resume
- A minimum of TWO published and performed compositions which you feel reflect the spirit of this work and your own style. Please submit recordings (audio &/or visual) with a clean score for review.
- Any additional compositions which you feel reflect the spirit of this work and your own style. Please submit recordings (audio &/or visual) with a clean score for review
- 2 Letters of support or recommendation
- Contact information for 3 References
Applicants may submit by CLICKING HERE.
If you need assistance or translation of this application, please forward your request to the email below.
Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
AAI is currently utilizing Lyric Opera OC as the facilitating agent.